A program focusing on SEO should get a standing-room-only crowd. Often this is not the case, however. It is unfortunate that small business owners and CEOs do not recognize SEO as a critical tool in identifying new clients and promoting their businesses.
I am celebrating 20 years as a CEO, and I have been providing SEO services for over 15 years for a small group of clients. I am puzzled as to why many CEOs of small businesses, as well as companies in my networking groups, are not investing their marketing dollars in their SEO campaigns. The main reason that comes to mind is a lack of education and understanding about the power of SEO and search marketing. I am puzzled because to date, the larger clients that my firm, Web Epoch, have acquired are through our webepoch.com website and our SEO campaigns. Somehow, my peers do not embrace SEO the same way. I hope this blog will encourage them to take steps to implement their own SEO campaigns.
- TIP 1. Google Business Listing
One of the first steps for any CEO is to implement Local SEO using Google Business listing. This listing is critical for local search placement. Be sure to get it right and keep this account fresh and current by adding new content, such as project images, testimonials, reviews and recommendations.
- TIP 2. On-page SEO I recommend using on-page SEO techniques to optimize each page on your website.You are optimizing your page to have prominence for the written subject matter. Your page title and description are critical to getting a click-through from the buyer. A keyword rich title and a persuasive description increases the number of visitors to your website.
- The title link should take the buyer to a landing page with great content that ultimately turns the click-through into a conversion by receiving a web form request or a phone call for a proposal. Now, to recap, on-page optimization by creating a strong title, persuasive description and great content. That’s easy! Only three steps for search optimization? Not quite; for on-page optimization there are several other meta tags that are optimized including the ALT tag for images.
- TIP 3. Off-page SEO
In addition to on-page techniques, you must implement off-page SEO campaigns that include videos, articles, blogs, newsletters, interviews, white papers, press releases and social media posts. One of the easiest ways to build cross-links is with a press release.
- TIP 4. Explainer Video
Use an animated explainer video. At Web Epoch we have produced videos for clients and our approach is to post them on nine video sharing sites, all pointing back to the client’s website and or specified landing page.
- TIP 5. Articles or Blogs
Another way to build cross-links is by submitting and publishing articles to authoritative sites such as CIANJ’s weekly blog.
- TIP 6. LinkedIN Recommendations
Try to get lots of recommendations posted by your clients on LinkedIN, including posting your own articles with links back to your website.
- TIP 7. Informative Infographic
Create an informative infographic so you can ask for visitors’ contact information via a short form before providing a download link.
- TIP 8. Get Interviewed
Get interviewed by NJ Tech Weekly or other publications, and have them link a few keywords to back to your website.
- TIP 9. as Google Ad Words
I recommend that as a CEO, you implement a pay per click (PPC) campaign such as Google Ad Words. Having a Google Ad Words campaign will actually help your organic SEO campaigns because you have more visibility, increasing the chance of a click-through.
Don’t think to yourself, “That’s a lot of work, with videos, white papers, articles and more…” A regular work schedule is required to create cross-links by writing great content on a monthly basis with a minimum six month commitment each year to be effective in search engines, but that’s not what I am suggesting here. The bigger picture of off-page SEO is about building cross-links over time by publishing a variety of great content that usually provides the reader with some useful tips and links back to your website to increase your monthly visitors. You can do it!